The Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited is a fastly growing telecom company and has come a long back from the days when it was just founded in 2000. Being the only state owned cellular operator service provider, the company has reached out to the length and breadth of the country in an attempt to cover the entire nook and corner of India. The company is a market leader in fixed telephony. In the mobile telecom market, the company offers both the prepaid and postpaid services to its consumers. For the prepaid subscribers the company offers the facility of BSNL recharge through online medium. For the postpaid connections bill payment is the way to keep the network going and be active.
A survey conducted in 2015 by the Mint & InstaVaani poll agency tried to study the customer satisfaction level of different cellular operators in India. 4000 customers using the services of one of the seven leading cellular service providers in the county were covered in seven cities of the country – New Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Chennai, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad and Kolkata. As per the study, it was reported that
- about 27% of the respondents were extremely happy with the services of BSNL
- 20% were happy with the BSNL services including BSNL recharge methods
- 26% said they were neither happy nor sad with the government owned BSNL
- 17% were unhappy
- Only 10% were extremely unhappy with the Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited
The study summarized that BSNL was ranked at number three position in terms of satisfactory service being provided to its subscribers. The study covered four essential points that a cellular operator is judged upon:
- Network connectivity
- Call centre support and response time
- Customer service orientation
- Internet speed and connectivity
BSNL got good ratings from all the circles that it is operating in.
That was as far as a research conducted at the private level. As per government records available till December 2017, the comparison is as below:-
- BSNL ranked at the fifth position with a subscriber base of 107.91 million
- Out of 10 telecom service provider the PSU performed quite substantially well to confront the private sector companies.
- BSNL had a market share of 8.78 % in the wireless subscriber market though it is still the market leader in the Indian wired line industry. The number of people using BSNL Recharge services has also increased to a significant level.
The company reported stable revenue in the financial year 2016-17. The main reason attributed towards this has been its aggressive tariff plans to gain subscribers and gaining extra market share.
As per report from TRAI the subscriber base for BSNL rose from 114.68 million in March 2017 to 117.37 million by June 2017. There was an effective addition of 2.69 million subscribers in duration of three months with a growth rate of 2.35%. In the rural areas BSNL had 37.19 million subscribers out of its total subscriber base with a market share of 7.29 %. The report also showed that BSNL earned Rs. 70/- as ARPU from its prepaid subscribers using BSNL Recharge services.